3/11/13

Detox Bath...My Experience



Our bodies contain toxins. As the body's toxicity level increases you become more susceptible to illness and disease. The best way to avoid these toxins is to eliminate toxic lifestyle habits. But the truth is we can never avoid all toxins.

Lately I have been studying "Detox Baths".  After doing a lot of research I decided to give it a try. This post is about my experience with my first detox bath.

First, you should know what I found during my research. First and foremost most all the literature I used for research pointed out that you should not use a detox bath if you are pregnant or suffer from circulatory issues. And it would be wise to contact your doctor prior to deciding to detox.

A detox bath is a warm bath that can contain a variety of products that essential cause the body to sweat. Sweating is the body's best form of detoxification. It is recommended that you drink plenty of water prior to the bath and lots of water after the bath. If you feel dizzy during the bath you should get out immediately and hydrate.


Most detox bath recipes I found contained these 3 ingredients:

Epsom Salts: Epsom salts are a combination of minerals, primary of which is magnesium sulfate. Bathing in a solution of Epsom salt allows the body to absorb magnesium through the skin, of which many people are deficient. It also helps eliminate heavy metals from the body, increases the body’s ability to eliminate toxins through the digestive tract, and increases the production of digestive enzymes produced in the pancreas. Soaking in an Epsom salt bath is wonderfully relaxing, as it helps relax muscles.
 
Baking Soda (aluminum free): Baking soda is a powerful detoxifier for radiation poisoning. In extremely low doses radiation toxins are all around us emitted from cell phones, computers, microwaves, televisions, etc. Baking soda also softens the skin. If you choose not to use a detox bath, you should still consider adding baking soda to your bath occasionally.

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is high in vitamins and minerals which are absorbed through the skin while bathing. Apple Cider Vinegar baths are known to be highly anti-inflammatory and are known to help the body eliminate excess uric acid.

There are lots of recipes out there on the net. Many suggest adding fragrant oils and other spices and minerals. I chose to stick with the basic for my first bath.


I found it is best to add the ingredients as the tub is filling. It is easier to blend them this way.

I added the following to a warm bath (not too hot):
2 cups Epsom Salts
2 cups Baking Soda
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar

The vinegar will make the baking soda fizz. So it best to wait until the tub is full to add the vinegar.

Most articles suggested a 40 minutes bath. During the first few minutes, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Just your typical warm bath. But after about 10 minutes the sweating begins! After about 30 minutes I had to get out and towel off.  It does pull the toxins from the body in the form of sweat...if nothing else. I continued to sweat for quite some time afterwards.

I would definitely suggest taking your detox bath before bedtime because afterwards I felt so tired. It makes for a wonderful night's sleep.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my body is screaming for this
    and it will get the treatment tonight..
    thanks so much for sharing.
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need this ! And I have everything on hand :-) Thank you for sharing at the ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love epsom salt baths but have never added the vinegar and soda. I will have to try all 3. (Found you through Costal Charm. :) Take care and have a good week).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm....interesting! Might have to give this a try!

    Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds heavenly!! I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to each one. Your comment will be published after it is reviewed.